Pages

Sunday 9 March 2014

L3 - St. Catharines

Originally named Level 3, this St. Catharines hot spot has now officially adopted the catchy abbreviation, L3, as the name for the venue.

L3 is located directly on the corner of James St. and St. Paul, across from the Scotiabank. L3 is a trusted source of entertainment every single weekend as hundreds of Brock and Niagara College students flock to the front doors. Now, since we are speaking about the front doors and the large amount of people who have L3 on their radar this weekend, expect a notorious line up to get inside anytime after 11 p.m. I believe this is due to the fact they are one of the only venues who open their doors at 9 p.m. as opposed to the industry norm, 10.pm.

Couldn't find the photographers, let me take a SELFIE !
L3 is famous for their student engagement as far as staff. If you are a Niagara College or Brock student, you more than likely will know at least one of the bartenders, security, coat check or shooter girls. This gives L3 a real community feel and sense of comfort or familiarity, this adds to the appeal and why L3 is rammed practically every weekend.

Once you are in L3, there is a large bar to your right where drinks are served at $3.50 and pitchers of domestic beer at $13. For the average student, this is a price that you cannot compare.

The biggest gimmick of L3 has to come from the layout and its relevance to the venues name. There is actually three levels of fun inside. The bottom floor has a pub kind-of atmosphere which is well lit with tables, booths, couches and the ever popular foosball table.

The middle floor has a lounge ambiance which holds all of the VIP section for those in groups who have chosen to bypass line and have a designated seating area and exclusive bottle of vodka. There is quite a few tables and chairs for people to hang out here, although since this is the same floor people are admitted into the club on, it tends to get quite busy.

Now, the top floor is where all the fun is at ! It is home to the massive dance floor and stage that are packed as people boogie down to Top40, House, Club Anthems, and Mashups all night. The AV showcase at L3 is also quite impressive with a mixture of bass activated strobe, lasers, and lights which flash to the bass line of the DJ's mixes. 

Cover: $3.
Atmosphere: Students, dress code, busy, energetic.
Cost: $3-4 cocktails and beer, $13 drinks, $3 coat check.

Size: Large dance floor, 3 levels.






15 comments:

  1. My band used to play at L3, and I used to go there every once in a while for concerts. I always thought it was a great venue, but it never seemed to be as busy as it is now. I can't get over how long the lineups are to get into this place. I haven't been in a while, but maybe I'll check it out again! I like the three levels concept, especially with the bottom level being a pub-type atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He keeps his grunge/moshing days of the past, in the past.
      Michael never use to be such an innocent soul, spike bracelets and eyeliner Greco ?

      doubt it, but seriously i'm interested !
      Did/do you plan an instrument Michael ?

      Delete
  2. L3 use to be a place for concerts, but they have definitely changed their vibe. They also use to have no cover but have changed that too. Although this place has seemed to become more money hungry over the years, it is definitely the place students flock to on a Saturday night. Good Post Morgan, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am not familiar with a lot of the clubs and venues in the area, so I really appreciate learning about new spots, especially ones with great music! Thanks for the info and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when I was able to afford to go out, I loved L3. I saw a lot of awesome shows there when bands were still kind of underground. I thought that vibe really worked for them. I haven't been there too much since the vibe changed, but I guess it's even more busy! I guess change is good sometimes- the mosh pits never were that safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to L3 in such a long time. You described the bar and atmosphere exactly to a typical night there. I did have a couple close friends work there when they went to Brock and really enjoyed it. But the three levels of stairs might be a little dangerous ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to go to L3 lots, I think they are one of the places with the best stages downtown, I love going to see bands play. I agree with Alessandra though, lots of stairs and ucomfortable shoes don't mix, especially if your a lady. Thanks for the review Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot of good things about L3 but, I've never been one for going to clubs. I do, however, enjoy reading the reviews you have provided on the different clubs. Great job, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only been to L3 once for St. Patty's Day last year. I must admit it was a great time and was surprised it took me so long to get there. I agree that they have changed their atmosphere from a place to see bands to more of a club atmosphere similar to Pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, how I recall my days of taking to the stage here. Few things were more enjoyable than playing to a full crowd on a Friday/Saturday night. It's a toss-up between L3, the Pepper and the Merchant for best band venue downtown, in my humble opinion. Great stuff Morgan!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to go to the L3 all the time a few years ago. Also like Michael and Jarrod my band used to play there a long while ago. (I think we need to start a band guys :P )
    My friends and I only recently stopped going there in favour of the Merchant Ale House.
    Often though we seem to just switch it up every now and again. I love that St.Catharine still has an active nightlife.

    ReplyDelete
  11. L3 is to St. Catharines what the Elmocombo is to Toronto....great live bands, great place to meet and mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went out with my boyfriend to St Catharines and my gps could only find Cache. I should have looked at your blog before. This sounds like a good place. I love dancing and I really need to go out! Thanks for the info Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. L3 is awesome - always used to go there and probably will continue to go there in the near future. Great blog - with the music and visuals it definitely is a great read, especially for those who love clubbing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete